How to install a probe in your kayak
Kayak fishing has become popular in recent years. Surely you are wondering how to install a probe in your kayak, to also take advantage of this type of fishing.
It really does not represent much difficulty to do the installation, you just need to take into account the procedure.
That is why here you will find a short and practical guide on how to install a probe in your kayak.
Before starting with the steps, first of all, you must bear in mind that the kayak must have a hatch, and, generally, they have it in the bow or in the central area between the legs. This will make the whole process easier.
Table of Contents
How to install a probe in your kayak: the elements.
First of all, it is necessary to gather the necessary elements to install the probe in your kayak.
Below is the list:
- You need a drill or screwdriver.
- In the same way, a 24 mm spade bit / or a Crown.
- A gland.
- 3 flanges.
- A small piece of sandpaper.
- A marker.
- A rule.
- Sikaflex construction or a Total-tech Ceys.
- 2 disposable latex gloves
- A waterproof bag for the battery.
Now, as for the battery, you can opt for an AGM model, or for a lithium battery.
In the first case, you will need two factions, so you can connect the power cable.
In case of opt for the lithium battery, you will need a plug connection. Depending on the model you will know if male or female.
Now you are ready to move on and find out how to install a probe on your kayak.
The installation of the probe.
Before proceeding with the installation, you must define where you will locate the probe. The most recommended thing is that it is in an accessible place to be able to handle it without problems on fishing days.
In this sense, the most convenient area is the central console included in most kayaks.
With this first step, you are close to fully knowing how to install a probe in your kayak.
After defining where in the kayak you will install it, it is time to attach the foot of the probe.
If the probe does not include the standard screws, what you have to do is opt for metric 5 mm stainless screws, with a length of 25 mm, also taking into account the nut and washer.
You must measure with the ruler and mark with the marker so that you can locate the points where you will drill.
Being the metric of 5 mm in the hardware, you will need a 4.2 mm drill, or 5 mm. That way, when screwing, it will be perfectly embedded in the hole.
Once you’ve drilled, cover the holes on the outside with a bead of sealant.
Finally, screw the base to the kayak, to do this insert the 8 keys inside, that way you can hold the nut while tightening the screws.
How to install a probe in your kayak: attach the cable gland.
As with the installation of the probe, it is necessary to locate well the area where the cable gland will be attached.
The most advisable thing is that the area is not flat, because there is a risk that water accumulates and seeps into the kayak.
The most convenient areas are:
- At the end of the footrests.
- In the center console, behind the area.
The best thing is that the gland is not far from the probe, that way you will not have an excessive length of cables outside the boat.
This information is basic for those wondering how to install a probe in a kayak.
When you have located where to attach it, and have installed the probe foot, it is time to measure once more to locate the cable gland.
Take the 25 mm spade or crown bit, and proceed to pierce the plastic, and then repair the hole with sandpaper, so that there are no threads or imperfections.
The steps for installation are:
- Separate the upper washer from the cable gland.
- Separate the lower nut.
- Remove the rubber washer from the two holes.
- Apply a drop of sealant around the holes.
- Insert the body of the cable gland from inside the kayak.
- Screw-in the upper part of the washer that you are releasing.
- To ensure that the cable gland is secure, tighten firmly. You can use your hands or a tool for this.
Install the transducer
This is the last step and you have to be careful when installing. It is one of the most delicate in terms of how to install a probe in a kayak.
So pay attention to every detail:
Define the location.
You must decide on a flat area inside the kayak, but not in the middle of the hatch.
In the same way, its location must be strategic so that the transducer does not receive blows with the accessories that you usually store inside the kayak.
Delineate the outline.
Before gluing it, take a look at the manufacturer’s instructions, that way you can know the orientation that the transducer should have.
In this sense, if it is in the shape of a drop, the point should go towards the bow.
Now, with the marker, mark the contour of the transducer, that way when you go to apply the sealant you can do it effectively.
The sealant should be applied in a layer one centimeter thick, in all the space that the transducer will occupy.
Place the transducer.
For this step, you need to use a latex glove. You proceed to beat the latex with a finger, the idea is to make it uniform and there are no bubbles.
Then you remove the latex that you have filled with sealant in the process and put on the other one clean, that way you will avoid staining the transducer.
You take the transducer and press it against the bed of sealant that you have prepared. The idea is that it is horizontal with respect to the kayak, that way the bouncing signal will reach the transducer again.
When you press the transducer against the sealant, it overflows, so with your finger protected with the latex glove, it is necessary to trace the contour of the transducer.
Then let the sealant dry.
How to install a probe in your kayak: final steps.
Your kayak is almost ready for probe fishing.
Now you must take these steps:
- You must pass the cables from inside the kayak through the cable gland.
- Make two cuts in the rubber plug, to accommodate the cables.
- Before passing the cables through the rubber plug, pass them through the lower nut.
- Lastly, pass it through the piece previously installed on the kayak.
- The idea is to calculate the necessary length of the cable so that it reaches the probe.
- Firmly tighten the lower nut of the cable gland, this will compress the rubber pad and cables.
- Then install the connectors for the probe.
- Check that you have correctly installed the cables, for them, attach the probe to the foot and connect to the battery. If you turn it on, everything is fine.
- To protect the battery, put it in a waterproof bag, with the cable on one side.
- Make several folds in the bag to close it, and find a point to anchor it in the kayak, so that it is fixed inside.
With these steps, you will have finished the installation.
This is how your question of how to install a probe in your kayak is answered.