How To Use Kayak For Care You: Care You Should Have Before And After Using Your Kayak
Keeping a boat in optimal conditions takes time. At we explain the care you should have before and after using your kayak. In this way, it will last longer and you will sail safely every time you go on your ship.
Table of Contents
Importance of taking care of your kayak
Either in the river or being in the sea, uncomfortable situations can arise in which it is convenient that your boat is in perfect condition. This can only be achieved by investing time in the maintenance of your kayak. In the same way, it is necessary that you avoid wear and tear and inappropriate use of your ship.
On the other hand, keeping the boat will give you security if you kayak in Cabo de Gata or in another location. Since in addition to taking care of it to withstand adverse conditions of nature, you also make sure that the acquisition of the kayak is a long-term investment. Since you extend its useful life. To do this, you must give it more importance than a simple entertainment device.
How To Care you For Kayak: Care you should take before and after using the kayak
The maintenance of the kayak includes more than the structure of the boat. To preserve it, it is also necessary to take care of the rest of the equipment (paddles, vest, skirt, jacket, wet suit, booties, and the camping unit, if you have one). Although these items are easier to wash and store, they also take time.
To provide the necessary treatment to your kayak, you must be guided by its manufacturing material. The wooden ones require more intense care. As the most common are fiberglass and plastic, we will focus on the care of these vessels.
The previous sailing care guarantees you safe passage out. Changing a small part can be the difference between breaking your ship and its safety. Also, preserving its appearance counts to keep it as good as possible and for a long time.
Before going out for a walk, you need to carry out a routine inspection. Add it as a basic security rule. With this, you will make sure that everything is going well with the canoe and that it will have maximum performance while in the water. It is necessary that you monitor the conditions of the following elements and, if necessary, replace them with new ones.
- It is important to verify that these objects are in the best condition. If there is any rusty, insulated, or bent, do not hesitate to change it.
- Lashing straps or straps must be whole, without cuts, holes, or excessively worn. Remember that these are used to keep the ship safe while moving by car and during storage.
- Replace buckles that are corroded or bent. Having these parts in good condition ensures grip and your kayak.
- If you go fishing it is necessary that you verify the safety cords that will keep your utensils attached to the boat. Also, check that the anchor cord is in good condition. Select a thick, anti-corrosive material for durability. In marine stores, you will find the right one.
- Make sure that the different seals that prevent the passage of water both to the kayak and to the different compartments are unbeatable. If not, find sealant to cover what you need. Remember to avoid using silicone.
For your kayak to have maximum durability, you must take care of it from ultraviolet rays, especially if the boat is made of plastic. This material is easier to care for and generally the type used in these canoes is of good quality. Additionally, they include UV protection in the dye that gives them color. Even with this benefit, it is convenient to provide them with another guarantee.
To prevent brittle flying and discoloration, you can apply a UV filter plastic protector at least twice a year. In addition to serving as sunscreen, they moisturize the manufacturing material and restore the oils in its structure. This benefits the flexibility and appearance of the vessel.
These types of substances can also be used in sailing equipment made of nylon. On the other hand, although fiberglass is not as sensitive to contact with the sun, it is necessary to apply a protector to areas such as seats, buckles, handles, and others that could be affected.
After the kayak ride
This part is the one that requires the most time. Maintenance includes everything from washing to storing the kayak. All the steps, well done, contribute to the preservation of your canoe and navigation equipment. Remember that you must attend to both the ship and all utensils. Especially if the walk was in the sea.
When returning from the ride, especially if it was in the ocean, it is recommended to rinse the kayak with fresh water, as well as the rest of the tools. This will prevent corrosive agents from damaging the material of your equipment in general. Emphasize cleaning metal parts like screws, buckles, and gears, even stainless steel.
Also, be sure to clean the boat on the inside. Sand can be a problem on parts like the rudder and pedal rails. Sticking to any of these areas could lock the mechanism and cause abrasion. Also, wash the rubber seals, as they are sensitive to saltpeter.
Let dry in a ventilated place. If necessary, use a towel to dry inside. If your kayak is made of fiber, we suggest using a polish after washing with fresh water. Before applying, verify that it works for the specific material, taking into account that there are fiberglass, carbon, and PVC.
The areas where there are metals are particularly delicate and more so when two different ones are found. Because galvanic corrosion could be generated. To avoid these annoying situations, we suggest you apply a lubricant that repels water, just after drying.
In the same way, it is convenient that you grease the handle, rudder, and pedal systems.
You must pay attention to where you keep your kayak. Avoid being in constant contact or colliding with other objects. It is usual that due to inadequate storage the canoe receives blows that in addition to damaging its surface, can affect its structure and usefulness. You can place the special bolts to anchor the boat on the wall.
To secure it, use the tie-down straps. This is especially useful with lighter materials like plastic. If you can have a single space for the kayak and navigation equipment, it would be ideal. On the other hand, if you cannot store it inside your home you can leave it outside but never without protection.
Get a resistant canvas in the appropriate measurements for your ship. We recommend that you buy it, even if you can store it inside your home. This way you will prevent animals from entering the interior, and you will keep it free of dust. In addition, if you are going to store them for long periods, it is advisable to do it vertically. Especially the plastic ones.
Remember that kayak care starts from the moment you buy it. It is important that you prepare your washing routine for after use, so you will avoid forgetting steps. In addition, it is beneficial to make general changes to the parts, apply a protector or paint the entire boat once a year if you have never done them due to inconveniences.
General tips when browsing
Excluding pre and post-kayak care, keep in mind that you must also take care of your canoe while in the water. These tips will not only help you preserve the integrity of your boat, they will also keep you safe, as long as you are not in extreme situations.
- Avoid the rocks. Navigate through an area free of obstacles such as rocks or reefs, either in the sea or the river.
- Define the usage. If your activity is sport fishing, a plastic kayak that must be exposed for several hours at the same point is not convenient. Choose the ideal one for each activity.
- Avoid corrosive substances. During your trip, do not carry oils that can corrode the material of the canoe, unless it is strictly necessary. Also, avoid bringing drinks that can damage the surface.
- Runaway from bad weather. If the weather does not look favorable, it is best not to go sailing. You could get caught in a storm, get injured, or lose your boat.
- Check the anchor. If you will anchor your boat to fish, particularly in areas with strong currents, check that all the moorings and the anchor are secure. In this way, you will avoid tipping over or being swept away by the waves without realizing it.
- Move with care. Secure all the moorings in the car before mobilizing your canoe. This will prevent the transfer from falling or while you get it out of the car.
These are the precautions you should take before and after using your kayak. If you don’t have one but you want to entertain yourself doing this sporting discipline. Don’t think twice and contact us. We are specialists in recreational activities in Almería.