Kayaking as a family activity
Kayaking, despite being known as a sports discipline, with an official place within the Olympic games, is a perfect recreational activity to do as a family.
From having a barbecue on the shore of a lake or teaching your children to fish, they are forms of recreation that you can do with a kayak as the perfect ally for your family trips.
The kayak is an excellent practice that is characterized by its incredible versatility, that is, it can be used both by people who love extreme adventures and by people who just want to spend some time relaxing in the company of their family and friends.
Surely, you have noticed that in the market there are many kayaks for two or more people, this means that this boat is ideal for going out with family groups.
Now, in order for you to know some particularities of kayaking as a family activity, we collect below everything you need to know to enjoy your trip to the fullest.
Table of Contents
What activities can you do with a kayak?
There are many family activities that you can do with a kayak, the versatility and functionality of these boats, allows you to move it to any place you go, whether your destination is the sea, the lake, or a river, a kayak will be your ally in fun.
These activities that I will recommend will help you plan your trip.
Walks in the water
There is no better way to enjoy family walks on the lake than with a kayak that allows you to navigate in the company of your loved ones, and even your children. This accessory will add a fun and different touch to your family day.
Also, you can complement your kayak trip with any other recreational activity, such as playing ball on the shore of the lake or making a succulent barbecue.
Now, if you are in a relaxation plan, you can also simply have a picnic, sit on the shore to rest admiring the beautiful landscape, or bathe in dream places.
Going fishing is an activity that many people love because it allows them to relax, and what better way than to go fishing with your family, so you will enjoy your passion and share time with your loved ones.
The kayak is a boat that allows you to go fishing and is not as expensive as a boat. You can take the opportunity to teach your children to fish.
Of course, since it is a family recreational activity, make sure you select the place very well, that they are calm and protected waters where you can have fun safely, and better if it is with a stable kayak such as a rigid kayak or fishing kayak.
Know new places
One of the benefits of kayaking, which is highly appreciated by fans of the activity, is the possibility of knowing new places. There are wonderful paradisiacal places that you can only have access to thanks to the versatility of kayaks.
And what better excursion than planning a trip where you can visit dream places, your family will surely enjoy it.
Both in Spain (list of the best places to kayak in Spain ), and in the rest of the world ( incredible places in the world to kayak ) there are thousands of incredible places waiting for you and your family to include them in your blog of excursion What are you waiting for!
What should you take into account before going on a family outing?
Before leaving your home for your fun family kayak day, there are many factors to consider. Among the most relevant are the following.
Although this activity is considered by many parents as risky when raising their little one. The truth is that with the necessary safety conditions it can be a fun and pleasant recreational activity to share with your children.
However, since they are children, the safety conditions vary and are stricter, therefore, there are many aspects that you should take into account before putting your little one in a kayak.
- Enrolling your sons/daughters in a kayaking course taught by a professional, where they are taught the basic techniques and can learn in a safe environment is always the best way to teach them.
- Being the appropriate age, by appropriate age I mean that it cannot be a small baby, because you will not be able to maneuver and you will have to hold it all the time, being an extremely high-risk activity for the safety of the little one.
- It must be older than 7 years, where the child understands what the practice means and where you can teach him the proper behavior that he should have on the journey.
- Also, of course, it is essential that the little one knows how to swim.
- Select areas with calm waters and preferably shallow ones, where the risk decreases significantly.
- Wear a children’s life jacket. Vests for children are very different from those for adults, for this reason, you must invest in one that suits their age.
- Make sure to keep him entertained so he doesn’t get bored on the tour. An idea used by many parents is to give a small paddle so that the child feels useful and entertained. Taking breaks and playing in the water are also activities that are very appreciated by children.
- Select a suitable kayak to carry it. In the market there are two-seater kayaks designed to carry children, self-emptying kayaks are a preferred option by many for short trips since they allow the child to have free legs.
- Do not force him to do the activity. If the child is afraid and does not want to participate, it is better to let him not do it, perhaps little by little on future occasions he will feel more comfortable and will want to participate in the adventure.
- If you are going to sail in a closed kayak, it is not advisable to put it between your legs, because it can be dangerous in case of capsizing.
When planning your family outing, take into account the importance of safety measures. Here are some that you should never forget.
- Bring a first aid kit, stocked with medications, band-aids, insect repellent, gauze, or any material or medicine that you may need at some point during the trip.
- Carry a repair kit, this will help you repair your kayak in case it has been broken.
- Bring food for you and your whole family. Planning all the food and drinks that you will take will ensure that the fun is complete.
- Stay and keep your family hydrated at all times.
- Bring adequate clothing and sun protection.
- Check the weather conditions before leaving the house.
We also have a number of other kayak accessories available.
These are some of the recommendations that you should take into account to consider kayaking as a family activity, which will allow you to have fun.
Family kayaking: discover the two-seater kayak
Did you know that it is possible to kayaking with the family? We are not talking about each member of the family going with their individual kayak, but about going all in the same. This is possible with two-seater kayaks.
What are the advantages and benefits of buying two-seater kayaks? Right from the start, we can say that it is a very nice activity to do as a family because for example an adult and a child can go, ideal for them to start to have contact with the sea.
Two-seater kayaks, discover the advantages
Before buying one of these, it is important that you are clear about the advantages of a two-seater kayak. You will have to ask yourself who is going to grow with you before buying it since a two-seater kayak is not recommended to go alone. The kayaks are built to go the number of people for which it has been built of course.
But a two-seater or family kayak can be great to enjoy with your loved ones in the water. It is important that you take into account the length of the kayak, since the shorter, the more manageable and therefore the better it turns. And the longer it is, the better it slides.
Summary of the main advantages of two-seater kayaks :
- It is ideal for couples and families.
- Kayakers of different ages and levels can go together (however, this could not be done separately, since, for example, you can go with your child if he has not yet learned to kayak).
- It is a very fun family adventure.
- They are faster and more stable.
What disadvantages do we find? Few things. Basically, it is a bit more expensive than buying two singles and it is a bit more complicated to maneuver of course. But otherwise, everything is positive.
Two-seater and more seater kayaks
We do not only find two-seater kayaks but also larger ones. On the one hand, we have the two-seater kayaks for 2 people, but also for 3-4 people.
We recommend you buy a two-seater kayak because the feeling is very beautiful and you will surely love the experience. Of course, if you do, keep in mind that you are going to need another person to go with you, so try to convince them beforehand. Feel free to try them now!
Remember that if you are looking for other types of boats, in our store you can buy a kayak of any type and always with the highest quality at the best prices on the market. We are waiting for you in our online shop!